Semmelweis Medical University
About Semmelweis Medical University:
Semmelweis Medical university is one of the oldest and most reputable medical universities in Central Europe, located in the capital of Hungary, Budapest. It has a history of approximately 400 years, founded in 1635 and named after Professor Selmeczy Kashefi.
This university offers instruction in English, German, and Hungarian and welcomes a significant number of international students each year from countries such as the Scandinavian nations, Germany, Austria, the United States, and Iran.
This university is fully approved by the Ministry of Health of Iran and holds a special place in the world in terms of its academic reputation. Every year, it is ranked among the world’s top universities in the Times Higher Education and QS World University Rankings.
Graduates of Semmelweis University’s Medical School are very successful in the global job market. The medical degree from Semmelweis University in Hungary is recognized throughout the European Union, the United States, and Canada.
Tuition fees at Semmelweis University are very reasonable compared to other European universities. The university operates on a semester and annual system, and tuition is paid in two installments.
Semmelweis University admits international students in the fields of medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy. The university excels in fields like physiotherapy, nursing, nutrition, physical education, and coaching.
Semmelweis University has highly experienced professors and provides education at a high European standard. Additionally, the University has advanced research facilities and is part of the Erasmus network of universities.
Semmelweis university has a total of 9,000 university staff members, 1,500 Hungarian members, and 16 members of the Academy of Sciences. Additionally, this university currently has 10,996 students, including 3,373 international students.
Faculties at Semmelweis Medical University:
The 5 faculties at Semmelweis University offer a diverse range of educational programs and research opportunities, catering to a wide array of medical and healthcare disciplines. The university is known for its comprehensive and high-quality medical education and research, making it a respected institution in the field of healthcare and medicine.
Faculty of Medicine:
This faculty is dedicated to training medical professionals. Students learn about various medical specialties, including internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics, and more. The departments within this faculty cover a wide range of medical disciplines and offer comprehensive medical education.
Departments Within the Faculty of Medicine:
- Department of Pathology and Cancer Research: This department focuses on the study of diseases, their causes, and mechanisms, as well as cancer research. Pathologists examine tissues and cells to diagnose diseases.
- Department of Internal Medicine: The Department of Internal Medicine is dedicated to the study of internal medical specialties, including cardiology, gastroenterology, and endocrinology, among others.
- Department of Surgery: This department covers various surgical disciplines, such as general surgery, orthopedic surgery, and vascular surgery. Surgeons are trained in surgical techniques and patient care.
- Department of Urology: Urology is the medical specialty focused on the urinary tract and male reproductive system. This department teaches students about urological conditions and treatments.
- Department of Ophthalmology: Ophthalmology deals with eye and vision care. This department educates students on eye diseases, surgical procedures, and vision health.
- Department of Traumatology: Traumatology involves the diagnosis and treatment of traumatic injuries and conditions, such as fractures and musculoskeletal injuries.
- Department of Vascular Surgery: Vascular surgery concentrates on disorders of the blood vessels, including arteries and veins. Students learn about vascular surgical techniques and interventions.
- Department of Cardiac Surgery: Cardiac surgery specializes in surgical procedures related to the heart. This department educates students about heart surgeries and treatments.
- Center for Cardiovascular Research: This center focuses on cardiovascular research, which includes the study of heart and vascular diseases, their prevention, and treatments.
- Department of Orthopedics: Orthopedics deals with conditions related to the musculoskeletal system. Students learn about orthopedic surgeries, joint replacements, and bone-related disorders.
- Department of Dermatology: Dermatology focuses on the skin, hair, and nails. Students in this department study skin conditions and their treatments.
- Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care: This department educates students on administering anesthesia and caring for patients in critical condition in intensive care units.
- Department of Emergency Medicine: Emergency medicine deals with the immediate assessment and treatment of patients with critical and urgent medical conditions.
- Department of Neurology and Psychiatry: This department covers neurological and psychiatric disorders, including their diagnosis and management.
- Department of Family Medicine: Family medicine emphasizes comprehensive primary care and health management for individuals and families.
- Department of Thoracic Surgery: Thoracic surgery deals with surgical interventions in the chest, including procedures related to the lungs and other thoracic organs.
- Department of Neurosciences: Neurosciences focus on the study of the nervous system and its disorders. Students learn about neurology, neurosurgery, and related fields.
Faculty of Dentistry:
The Faculty of Dentistry focuses on dental education and training. Students learn about oral health, dental procedures, and related sciences. Departments within this faculty cover areas such as orthodontics, periodontology, and oral health.
Departments Within the Faculty of Dentistry:
- Orthodontics Department: This department specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of dental and facial irregularities. Orthodontists work to correct misaligned teeth and jaws.
- Periodontology Department: Periodontology is the study of the supporting structures of the teeth, including the gums and bone. This department educates students about periodontal diseases and treatments.
- Oral Health and Dentistry Department: This department covers various aspects of oral health, emphasizing preventive dentistry and promoting good oral hygiene practices.
- Diagnostic Dentistry Department: Diagnostic dentistry focuses on the diagnosis and early detection of oral health issues. Students in this department learn how to perform dental examinations and use diagnostic tools effectively.
Faculty of Pharmacy:
This faculty is responsible for pharmaceutical education, training pharmacists, and conducting research in pharmaceutical sciences. Departments in this faculty include pharmaceutical chemistry, drug absorption, and pharmaceutical technology.
Departments Within the Faculty of Pharmacy:
- Drug Absorption Department: This department focuses on the study of how drugs are absorbed by the body, their bioavailability, and factors that influence drug absorption.
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry Department: Pharmaceutical chemistry departments teach students about the design, synthesis, and analysis of pharmaceutical compounds, including drugs and their formulations.
- Pharmaceutical Technology Department: This department covers the manufacturing and production of pharmaceutical products, including dosage forms like tablets, capsules, and other drug delivery systems.
- Organic Chemistry Department: Organic chemistry departments emphasize the study of organic compounds, which are essential in pharmaceutical research and drug development.
Faculty of Health Sciences:
The Faculty of Health Sciences provides education and training for healthcare professionals, such as nurses, physiotherapists, and other allied health professionals. It covers a broad spectrum of health-related disciplines, including nursing and physiotherapy.
Departments Within the Faculty of Health Sciences:
- Nursing: This department would focus on educating students in various aspects of nursing, including fundamental nursing skills, patient care, medical ethics, and the nursing process.
- Physiotherapy: Physiotherapy departments train students in physical therapy and rehabilitation techniques to help individuals recover from injuries or illnesses that affect their physical mobility.
- Occupational Therapy: Occupational therapy departments teach students how to help individuals with physical or cognitive challenges develop the skills they need to participate in everyday life activities.
- Radiography: Departments related to radiography would typically cover diagnostic imaging techniques, such as X-rays, MRIs, and CT scans, as well as radiation safety and patient care.
- Clinical Laboratory Science: This department would train students in clinical laboratory techniques and procedures, including clinical chemistry, microbiology, and pathology.
- Public Health: Public health departments would offer programs related to population health, epidemiology, health promotion, and disease prevention.
- Healthcare Management: Departments related to healthcare management educate students on healthcare administration, healthcare policy, and management practices within healthcare organizations.
- Nutrition and Dietetics: Nutrition and dietetics programs focus on nutritional science, dietary planning, and the role of nutrition in health and disease.
- Physical Education: Departments related to physical education may cover topics related to physical activity, sports, and fitness, including exercise physiology and sports science.
- Speech-Language Pathology: Speech-language pathology departments train students to diagnose and treat communication and swallowing disorders.
Faculty of Social Sciences:
This faculty typically focuses on the sociological and psychological aspects of healthcare and medical practice. Students may study topics related to healthcare management, public health, and the social dynamics of healthcare delivery.
Pre-University Preparation Course for Admission to Semmelweis Medical University:
The pre-university preparation course for this university is held at McDaniel College and the Avicenna International College in Budapest every year. Prospective students wishing to study in Hungary can participate in this pre-university course and, upon completion, take the entrance exam for Semmelweis University.
It should be noted that Semmelweis University does not independently offer pre-university preparation courses. The mentioned colleges above provide pre-university preparation courses for admission to Semmelweis University
Duration of Study Programs at Semmelweis Medical University:
- Medicine in English: 6 years
- Medicine in German: 6 years
- Dentistry in German: 5 years
- Dentistry in English: 5 years
- Pharmacy in English: 5 years
- Veterinary Medicine: 5.5 years, in English and German
- Physiotherapy (B.Sc.): 4 years, in English
- Physiotherapy (M.Sc.): 1.5 years, in English
- Nursing (B.Sc.): 4 years, in English
- Nursing (M.Sc.): 1.5 years, in English
- Midwifery (B.Sc.): 4 years, in English
- Optometry (B.Sc.): 4 years, in English
- Public Health Visitor (B.Sc.): 4 years, in English
Admission Requirements at Semmelweis Medical University:
Students who intend to enter year one at the university without completing a preparatory course and wish to study in English must have one of the following globally recognized English language proficiency certificates:
- IELTS with a score of 6.5
- TOEFL iBT with a score of 80
- Michigan Certificate with a score of 85 (MELAB)
- Evidence of 3 years of study in English at one of the English-speaking universities in countries such as England, Canada, the United States, Australia, or New Zealand.
Entrance Exams for Semmelweis Medical University:
Applicants who have completed a one-year pre-university preparatory program in medical sciences in Hungary can take part in the entrance exams, usually held on two different dates in Budapest, and Szeged city in Hungary.
The entrance exam consists of two parts:
- Written Exam
- Oral or Scientific Interview
The written exam includes questions on Biology, Chemistry, English Language, and Medical Terminology. All the exams are conducted in English.
Admission to Semmelweis Medical University is highly competitive and is based on the scores obtained in the university entrance exam.
The minimum required score for admission to the Dentistry program, given the high demand from international students, is 80%. For the Medicine program, it is a minimum score of 75%, and for the Pharmacy program, it is a minimum score of 70%.
Students should register at their respective college several months in advance and submit their documents to the college’s admissions office. It is important to note that delays in the registration process are not acceptable.
The written exam typically takes place in one day and comprises 20 biology questions, 20 chemistry questions, and 60 English language questions. The exam duration is usually 90 minutes.
If a student does not pass the written exam, they are required to complete a one-year pre-university preparatory program in medical sciences, which is mandatory.
It’s important to note that this preparatory program is conducted in English at institutions like Avicena and McDaniel Colleges.
The oral exam takes place after the written exam, and a professor from the university conducts the interview. Students are expected to adhere to the principles and rules of the interview and maintain a respectful and proper appearance during the interview.
During the oral exam, the professor may ask several questions, such as topics related to the heart, lungs, kidneys, body anatomy, and various aspects of the field. The student’s English language proficiency and scientific knowledge are assessed during this interview.
Keep in mind that despite passing the written exam and meeting the minimum score requirements, success in the oral interview is mandatory for admission to the university.
Topics covered in the entrance exam:
- Evolutionary Trends
- Chemical and Biological Aspects
- The Role of Chemistry in Biology
- Structure of Atoms and Molecules
- Chemical Bonds and Chemical Reactions
- Inorganic Compounds; Hydrocarbons
- Organic Compounds Containing Oxygen or Sulfur
- Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen
- Amino Acids and Proteins
- Nucleic Acids
- The Cell and Its Organization (Anatomy and Function)
- Prokaryotes (Viruses, Bacteria)
- Eukaryotes (Focus on Cilia and Flagella, Cell Wall, Cell Membrane, Endoplasmic Reticulum, Golgi Apparatus, Lysosome, Mitochondria, Plastids, Ribosomes, Centriole, Nucleus, Nucleolus)
- From Cells to Tissues
- Cell Division (Mitosis and Meiosis)
- Anabolic and Catabolic Pathways of Nucleic Acids, Proteins, Carbohydrates, and Lipids
- Physiology of Living Organisms (Respiration, Swallowing and Digestion, Excretion, Blood Circulation)
- Reproduction and Development in Animals
- General Behavior
Tasks After Passing the Entrance Exam:
After being accepted into the Semmelweis University entrance exam in Hungary, students in Iran should take the following steps:
- Tuition Fee Payment: Upon receiving the admission, students should immediately proceed to pay their tuition fees.
- Tuition Fee Confirmation: After paying the tuition fee and finalizing their place of study, students should email the university, scan the payment receipt, and send it by email to notify the university of their payment.
Students should be aware that the last date for tuition fee payment is usually until July 15th, and delays should be avoided.
- Visa and Residence Permit Extension: Immediately apply for a student visa (for students from outside Hungary) or extend your residence permit (for students residing in Hungary).
It’s important to note that obtaining a Hungarian student visa usually takes a minimum of 8 weeks, so plan accordingly to ensure you complete the university registration process on time.
- Travel to Hungary: After receiving the student visa or extending your residence permit, make arrangements to travel to Hungary immediately to avoid losing your place of study.
- Register at the University: After arriving in Hungary, complete the university registration process.
- Residence Permit Process: After enrolling in the university, you must complete the necessary procedures for obtaining a residence permit from the immigration authorities.
Students should note that the start date for university registration at Semmelweis University is August 28th of each year, and you must be present at the university at least one week before this date.
Classes at Semmelweis University generally commence on September 4th of each year, so you should arrive at the university at least two weeks before this date.
By adhering to these guidelines, you can ensure a smooth transition to studying at Semmelweis University in Hungary.
Annual Tuition Fees for Semmelweis Medical University:
- Pharmacy: $12,000
- Medicine: $18,200
- Dentistry: $18,200 + $3,600 for dental materials
- Physiotherapy: $6,800
- Nursing: $6,600
- Tuition fees for Sports Coaching (Football, Volleyball, Basketball): Between $7,500 and $6,500 annually.
- Admission Letter Processing Fee: $200
- University Registration Fee: $200
- Entrance Exam Registration Fee: $350
- Entrance Exam Processing Fee: $200
Important Notes Regarding Tuition Fees at Semmelweis Medical University:
- Timely Payment: Tuition fees must be paid on time. If a student delays or fails to transfer the tuition fee to the university’s account, they risk losing their place at the university, and their spot may be given to another student.
- Payment in Advance: It is recommended that all Iranian students pay their tuition fees at least one month before the due date through reputable currency exchange offices. They should ensure they receive the payment receipt two days after making the transfer.
- Reputable Currency Exchange Offices: It is advisable to use reliable currency exchange offices located in Budapest for transferring tuition fees. Additionally, you can also make the payment online from your bank account in Hungary.
- Accuracy in Passport Details: Make sure to provide accurate passport details and your acceptance number in the payment transfer instructions and include a copy of the transfer confirmation in your documents for the university.
- Avoid Unreliable Currency Exchanges: Be cautious of unreliable currency exchange offices that may offer lower fees but could lead to the loss of your educational opportunity. These offices often take lower commission fees but might not deliver the payment on time.
- Semester-Based Payments: Most Hungarian universities, including Semmelweis University, receive tuition fees on a semester-by-semester basis. The tuition for the first semester should be transferred precisely as indicated by the university in your acceptance letter. Additionally, you’ll need to pay a foreign transfer fee of $15 for every $1,000 transferred.
Semmelweis Medical University Academic Calendar:
Here are the important dates and events on the academic calendar for Semmelweis University:
- Opening Ceremony for the Start of the Academic Year: First Monday of September
- Registration Day for First-Year Students: First Thursday of September
- University Commencement: Second Monday of September
- Start of the Second Semester: First Monday of January
- End-of-Year Examinations: From May 22nd to July 6th
- Deadline for Tuition Fee Payment for the First Semester: Until July 15th every year
Facilities at Semmelweis Medical University:
The Central Library of Semmelweis University is one of the largest and most modern medical libraries in Hungary. Currently, it is accessible in two locations. The Central Library provides access to medical specialty books, pharmaceutical books, and journals for students through the university’s internet network.
Semmelweis University offers a wide range of sports programs for its students. Physical education classes are mandatory in most faculties during the first four terms. Various educational sessions (volleyball, basketball, handball) and optional sports activities (judo, aerobics) provide students with a variety of choices.
The research department at Semmelweis University in Hungary has achieved outstanding results in four main areas in the Modern Medical Technologies project, positioning the university as a leading research institution. Over the course of two years of this project, 15 inventions, 367 scientific publications, and 778 scientific presentations were produced. Furthermore, the university has improved research and development conditions and strengthened the relationship between research and the business sector.
Semmelweis University in Hungary provides a range of facilities and accommodations for its students:
The university boasts modern lecture halls, laboratories, and a well-equipped library with an extensive collection of medical and scientific literature. There are also specialized facilities for practical medical training, such as dissection rooms and simulation centers.
Semmelweis University offers various housing options, including dormitories and apartments. Many of the dormitories are located near the university’s main campus. Students can choose between single or shared rooms, and the accommodations are typically furnished with basic amenities. These facilities are quite affordable and convenient for international students.
- Single Rooms: These are individual rooms designed for one student. Single rooms offer more privacy and independence, making them suitable for those who prefer solitude and personal space. They are generally more expensive than shared rooms.
- Shared Rooms: Shared rooms typically house two or more students in the same room. This option can be more cost-effective and is great for those who want to have roommates and share the costs. It’s also a good way to make friends and connect with fellow students.
- Gender-Specific and Coed Dorms: Some dormitories are gender-specific, while others are coed. You can choose the type that aligns with your comfort and preference.
- Dorm Amenities: Most dormitories offer basic amenities such as a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, and access to communal kitchens and bathrooms. Some may have additional amenities like laundry facilities, common rooms, and recreational areas.
- Location: Semmelweis University has several dormitories located near its campuses. The specific location can vary, and you can choose the one that is most convenient for your studies.
- Pricing: The cost of student housing varies depending on factors such as room type, location, and amenities. Single rooms are usually more expensive than shared rooms.
- Application Process: To secure student housing, you’ll typically need to apply through the university’s housing office. The application process often involves providing personal information, room preferences, and making necessary payments.
The university provides student support services to assist with accommodation arrangements, visa and residence permit issues, and general student affairs. There is a dedicated office to help international students with various matters.
Cafeterias and Dining:
Semmelweis University has several cafeterias and dining facilities on campus, offering a variety of meal options. These are convenient for students looking for affordable and quick dining options.
The university encourages a vibrant student life with various student organizations and clubs, as well as extracurricular activities. This includes cultural events, sports clubs, and social gatherings, ensuring that students have a well-rounded experience.
Being a medical university, Semmelweis University has its own healthcare services and clinics, allowing students to access medical care conveniently.
Scholarships at Semmelweis Medical University:
Erasmus scholarships are for the mobility of university students and are established by the European Union with the aim of enhancing higher education programs through student exchange within the European Union.
This program is available to students who are enrolled in universities and other higher education institutions in countries that have active bilateral agreements with other European Union countries.
Hungary has been a full member of the Erasmus program since 1997. Students participating in this program can spend a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months at partner universities.
This program covers transportation, accommodation, food, and insurance expenses.
Considering that we are an official representative of Semmelweis Medical University, we provide all admission services, student visas, and university entrance exam registrations for Semmelweis Medical University completely free of charge.
We offer pre-evaluation of your documents including transcripts and English language proficiency results prior to applying to your program of choice.
Additionally, we offer assistance and provide guidance in constructing optimal resumes and personal statements if required for admission.
lastly, we provide a checklist of all the required documents for admission and assist you with applying for residency as well.