Budapest Metropolitan University (METU)
About Budapest Metropolitan University (METU):
Budapest Metropolitan University, established in 2000, has evolved into Hungary’s largest private university today, offering a diverse range of programs and catering to a growing number of students.
The university boasts two campuses, one in Budapest and another in Hódmezővásárhely, with over 8000 students enrolled in preparatory, bachelor’s, and master’s programs, available in both Hungarian and English. An impressive 87% of the university’s graduates find employment within the first three months post-graduation.
Metropolitan University boasts international partnerships with numerous countries, including Austria, Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and the United States.
The university is a melting pot, with students hailing from 75 countries worldwide.
The campus features modern buildings, comfortable spaces, and state-of-the-art technology, offering over 400 computer stations, a language laboratory, a sound studio, a radio and television studio, smart boards, a multimedia library, and free Wi-Fi coverage throughout the university area.
History of Metropolitan University Hungary:
2016: A significant change occurred as the university not only successfully changed its name but also transformed into Metropolitan University Budapest (METU) from January 1st. This transition brings benefits to both current and prospective students, maintaining the commitment to excellence and market relevance while increasing the value of METU diplomas both nationally and internationally.
2015: METU made substantial increases in its capital this year. The goal was to foster domestic and international growth for BKF, launch new programs, enhance English-language offerings, and attract international students through global partnerships. This year marked a significant milestone as the university became the largest college of arts in the country, offering various types of degrees. Starting in September, students could initiate their studies at the Budapest College of Applied Sciences.
2014: The College of Media Arts relocated to a new building, opening its doors to art students, tourists, and those in the hospitality industry.
2012: METU expanded its international collaborations to include over 50 partners across three continents.
2011: Metropolitan University Hungary celebrated its 10th anniversary! Two new undergraduate programs (Business and Marketing, Tourism and Catering) were launched at the new METU regional knowledge center in Hódmezővásárhely, Southern Hungary. The number of students studying at METU exceeded 7000.
2010: Rózsa street underwent renovation, welcoming students, tourists, and those in the hospitality industry. Two new graduate programs were introduced, enabling students to apply for programs in Communications and Media Studies, as well as Bachelor’s and Master’s programs in Management and Leadership.
2010: Metropolitan University Hungary established the Creative Talent of the Year award, recognizing creative thinking and entrepreneurship. METU launched its Creative and Business Thinking competition for high school students.
2009: The HLF School of Economics and Tourism merged into Budapest College of Communication, Business, and Arts. This integration elevated Metropolitan University Hungary to the position of the largest private college in Hungary. Students could now participate in programs in the fields of Business, Communication, Tourism, and Arts at two colleges.
2007: The student population exceeded 2000.
2006: METU adopted the principles of the Bologna Declaration. New graduate programs were introduced, including International Economy, Public Services, Trade Management, and Communications and Media Studies.
2005: METU held its inaugural graduation ceremony, providing a pleasant and contemporary environment with newly renovated and newly constructed structures set in a beautiful park in a residential area.
Notably, the new multi-purpose building of Metropolitan University Hungary marked a substantial investment, nearly 1 billion HUF, financed by the European Union to bolster higher education.
2004: METU introduced new programs, such as Organization of Public Services and European Trade. The WiFi network now covers the entire Rózsa street campus, accommodating a growing student body that surpassed 1000.
2003: Metropolitan University Hungary established itself as a reputable institution for adult education and gained recognition as an examination center for the European Computer Driving License (ECDL). Additionally, the College’s Language Department, doubling as an official testing center for TOEIC language examinations, began offering specialized and general language courses. The university launched a Career Center to assist students in their transition into the job market.
2001: In 2001, Metropolitan University Hungary commenced its educational journey with 126 students in the field of Communication and Business Communications.
2000: The story began with the founding of Budapest College of Communication in 2000, followed by government accreditation. From 2001, the university offered higher education programs, adult education, and advanced vocational training with high international and European Union standards in practical communication and business sciences.
Faculties at Budapest Metropolitan University:
Budapest Metropolitan University, often referred to as METU, offers a variety of faculties and schools covering a wide range of disciplines. Each of these faculties and schools offers a range of bachelor’s and master’s degree programs, providing students with the opportunity to delve deep into their chosen field of study.
School of Business and Commerce:
The School of Business and Commerce focuses on business-related disciplines, including business administration, marketing, and economics.
It offers a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate programs, allowing students to gain a strong foundation in business management and commerce.
Students can learn about marketing strategies, financial management, international business, and economics.
School of Tourism:
Budapest Metropolitan University’s School of Tourism is renowned for its programs related to tourism and hospitality management.
Students have the opportunity to study tourism, hotel management, event management, and other aspects of the hospitality industry.
The school aims to prepare students for careers in the rapidly growing global tourism sector.
School of Communications:
The School of Communications is dedicated to media studies, communication, and related fields.
Students can pursue programs in journalism, public relations, advertising, and media studies.
This school equips students with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in the ever-evolving world of media and communication.
School of Arts:
The School of Arts at Budapest Metropolitan University offers creative and artistic programs.
Students can explore fields such as photography, graphic design, animation, visual representation, and media design.
This school provides a platform for aspiring artists and designers to develop their creative abilities and craft.
Admission Requirements at METU:
|Programs||General Requirements||Specific Requirements|
|Bachelor’s Programs||– Completed secondary school studies||– BSc applicants: high school math grade above 60%, online mathematics test|
|– Intermediate command of English||– International Relations BA applicants: online discussion|
|– GPA above 60% annually and in final exam||– Art program applicants: portfolio, CV, and motivation letter|
|– Participating in an online interview|
|Master’s Programs||– Bachelor’s degree or above in any related field||– Tourism and Management MSc and Management and Leadership MSc applicants: 60 credits recognized from previous studies|
|– GPA: overall above 60%||– MBA applicants: CV, proof of employment, and motivation letter|
|– Upper-intermediate command of English||– Art program applicants: portfolio, CV, and motivation letter|
|– Participating in an online interview|
- Valid passport (minimum 6 months)
- CV (for MA applicants)
- Motivation letter (for MA applicants)
- Diploma certificate with official English translation (Secondary school, B.A., or Master’s certificate)
- Corresponding transcripts of records for each certificate
- Employment letter for MBA applicants (2 years for BA/BSc holders & 3 years for MA/MSc)
- IELTS is not mandatory, but applicants are encouraged to upload it if available.
- BA/BSc applicants should have at least a level of 5.5 IELTS in English.
- MA/MSc applicants must have at least a level of 6.0 IELTS in English.
- Minimum of 60% of grades, equivalent to between C and D grades in the American high school diploma. For BA program, 4 AS levels or 2 A levels are required.
- There should be no failed subjects in their academic history.
All documents including graduation certificates and transcripts must be translated to English by a certified translator.
Please note that the Admission Team reserves the right to assess and validate the provided certificates during the online interview. During the interview students are asked about their basic knowledge of the program, hobbies, family information, personal life, and motivation in choosing METU.
Applicants are required to demonstrate their language proficiency, and the admission committee will base their decision on this assessment. Applicants who do not meet the minimum language requirements might be offered the opportunity to begin their studies with an English Language Preparatory Program lasting one or two semesters.
Business and Tourism BSc Applications:
For candidates applying to the Business and Tourism BSc programs, the interview also includes a 40-minute mathematics test (further details will be provided later). International Relations BA applicants, on the other hand, are expected to engage in a 30-minute discussion on topics relevant to their major.
Art and Design Applications:
In the case of art and design applications, our professors will first evaluate the portfolio, CV, and motivation letter as part of the initial selection before the online interview. For specific portfolio requirements for each program, please refer to the following link: www.metubudapest.hu/portfolio-requirements-for-art-courses.
Tourism and Management MSc and Management and Leadership MSc Applications:
Applicants to the Tourism and Management MSc and Management and Leadership MSc programs must have at least 60 credits recognized from previous studies in specific fields, with a minimum of 30 credits completed at the time of admission. Any missing credits must be acquired alongside their Master’s studies, and this should be completed within two semesters. There is a fee associated with the completion of these missing credits. If an applicant has fewer than 30 credits at the time of admission, they can enroll in our 1-semester Pre-Master Program to earn the necessary credits before starting the Master’s program.
Applicants for the MBA program are required to submit the following documents:
- A motivation letter
- A professional CV detailing previous roles and responsibilities
- An employer certificate as proof of employment at a company in a professional or managerial position. For applicants with a Bachelor’s degree, this should be for a minimum of 3 years, and for applicants with a Master’s degree, a minimum of 2 years.
Tuition Fees at METU:
|PREPARATORY PROGRAMS||Semesters||Tuition Fee|
|Intensive English Language Preparatory 1 or 2||1 or 2||€ 2,500|
|Professional Foundation Semester for Business Programs||1|
Bachelor’s Degree Programs:
|BACHELOR’S PROGRAMS||Semesters||Tuition Fees for Non-EU Citizens/Semester||Tuition Fees for EU Citizens/Semester|
|Business, Communication, Tourism|
|Business Administration and Management BSc||7||€ 2,900||€ 2,200|
|Commerce and Marketing BSc||7|
|Communication and Media Science BA||6|
|International Relations BA||6|
|Tourism and Catering BSc||8|
|Animation BA||6||€ 3,900||€ 2,950|
|Environmental Design BA|
|Film and Media Studies BA|
|Graphic Design BA|
|(Offered with a minimum of 12 applicants)|
|Media Design BA||6||€ 3,900||€ 2,950|
|Motion Picture Studies BA|
|Visual Representation BA|
Master’s Degree Programs:
|MASTER’S PROGRAMS||Semesters||Tuition Fees for Non-EU Citizens/Semester||Tuition Fees for EU Citizens/Semester|
|Business, Communication, Tourism|
|Communication and Media Studies MA||4||€ 3,000||€ 2,500|
|Management and Leadership MSc|
|Tourism Management MSc|
|Master of Business Administration (MBA)||€ 3,300||€ 2,800|
|Art and Design Management MA||4||€ 3,000||€ 2,500|
|Graphic Design MA||€ 4,000||€ 3,200|
|(Offered with a minimum of 12 applicants)|
|Animation MA||4||€ 4,000||€ 3,200|
|Fashion and Textile Design MA|
|Media Design MA|
|Fee Type||Refundable||Obligatory||Price (in €)|
Intakes at METU:
- Bachelor and Master of art programs only have intake in September
- All other programs have intake in September and February
- Non-EU students: June 15, 2023
- EU students: August 1, 2023
Obtaining a Residence Permit:
After registration as a student of the METU, you should locate the immigration office.
We recommend students to visit the immigration office along with their student mentor.
Students entering Hungary with an initial entry visa must apply for their residence permit within 30 days of entry.
Documents Required for Obtaining a Hungarian Student Residence Permit:
Applicants need the following documents for obtaining a residence permit:
- University contract or enrollment
- Student status certificate
- One passport-size photo
- Letter of acceptance or scholarship award letter
- Proof of scholarship reception for scholarship students
- Valid passport (minimum 15 months validity)
- Residential address card
- Bank account
- Health insurance
- Student ID card
Budapest Metropolitan University Facilities:
Budapest Metropolitan University offers a range of modern facilities and services to support students in their academic and extracurricular activities. Some of the key facilities at the university include:
- State-of-the-Art Campuses: The university has two campuses located in Budapest, one in the heart of the city and another in Hódmezővásárhely. These campuses are equipped with modern infrastructure and technology to provide students with a conducive learning environment.
- Classrooms and Lecture Halls: The university has well-equipped classrooms and lecture halls where students attend their classes. These spaces are designed to facilitate interactive learning and are equipped with multimedia tools for effective teaching.
- Library: Budapest Metropolitan University has a library with a vast collection of academic resources, including books, journals, and digital materials. It provides students with a quiet place for study and research.
- Computer Labs: The university offers computer labs with high-speed internet access and up-to-date software to support students’ coursework and research. These labs are essential for students in various fields, including media, design, and business.
- Language Labs: Language labs are available to support students who are learning and improving their language skills, particularly English. These labs often have specialized software and materials for language learning.
- Multimedia Studios: Given the university’s focus on media, communication, and design, it provides multimedia studios where students can work on projects, including audio and video production.
- Creative Arts Facilities: For students in art and design programs, there are dedicated spaces and studios equipped with tools and equipment to nurture creativity and artistic skills.
- Cafeterias and Food Services: The campuses have cafeterias and dining areas where students can enjoy meals and socialize. These spaces offer a variety of dining options to cater to different tastes.
- Sports and Recreation: Budapest Metropolitan University also places an emphasis on students’ physical well-being. Some campuses have sports facilities, including gyms, where students can stay active and healthy.
- Student Support Services: The university provides various support services to assist students during their academic journey. This includes academic advising, career counseling, and international student support.
- Student Organizations: Budapest Metropolitan University encourages student engagement through clubs and organizations covering diverse interests, including arts, culture, sports, and business.
- Online Learning Platform: In response to the changing educational landscape, the university likely offers an online learning platform that enables students to access course materials and resources remotely.
Dormitories at METU:
Budapest Metropolitan University offers you two of its contracted dormitories in Budapest.
Nova Inn is just right next to our main campus, and CEU Residence Center is only a few minutes from the main campus with extra services.
CEU Residence Center:
The CEU Residence Center, situated roughly 12 minutes from Budapest Metropolitan University’s main campus, is a spacious and contemporary housing facility. It provides well-appointed, air-conditioned lodging in single and double rooms, each spanning 14.8 square meters and equipped with a private bathroom. Resembling a hotel, it offers various amenities to students, including round-the-clock reception, security, and maintenance services.
- cleaning of the rooms and fresh
- bedsheets once in a month
- swimming pool, sauna and gym
- billiard, football, table tennis
- iron, vacuum cleaner
- study room
- common kitchen and TV lounge on
- sports field and outdoor tennis court
(sport equipment available at the
- garden with relaxing furniture
- bicycle storage
- pub (can be booked for private
- restaurant, café, shop
- laundry room with washing machines and drying machines (1 coin = 300 HUF)
- guarded parking
- fridge rental to the room (15.000 HUF/ semester or 25.000 HUF/year)
|ROOM||PRICE /month/person (if you rent for 5 months)||PRICE /month/person (if you rent for 10 months)|
|2 beds||€ 270||€ 250|
|1 bed||€ 400||€ 380|
Note: A security deposit of 750 euros, along with the first month’s fee, must be paid in advance. If no damages occur, the deposit will be refunded at the end of the contract.
The residence can house up to 38 people and is located less than 100 meters from the Nagy Lajos campus, near a restaurant and a bank. It offers excellent access to public transportation, situated around 250 meters from two shopping centers with fitness facilities, a multiplex cinema, and a bowling alley.
Renovated in 2016, the property consists of six separate apartments, each featuring a well-equipped kitchen, a comfortable living area, and two bathrooms with toilets.
High-speed wifi is available in all apartments, and each bedroom comes with a 90×200 cm bed, a nightstand, a lockable wardrobe (size: 90x210x50 cm), and a desk with a chair for every student.
- common room for social
- laundry room
- garden with possibility for
outdoor sport activities
- additional storage for bike
- additional storage
- all utility fees (energy,water,
garbage collection fee)
- weekly cleaning of common
room, and common room),
- monthly cleaning of kitchens,
bathrooms and toilets
|ROOM||Price / Month / Person|
Note: All rental payments must be made in euros, and only cash is accepted. A security deposit of 750 euros, along with the first month’s rent, is required in advance. If no damages occur during your stay, the deposit will be refunded at the end of the contract. If you sign a 10- or 12-month contract, you can enjoy the last month of your stay free of charge.
Scholarships and Discounts at METU:
Metu Excellence Scholarship:
Promoting talent and dedication is a fundamental principle at Budapest Metropolitan University, which is why we have introduced our recently established Excellence Scholarship Program. We will choose 30 new students to receive our new merit-driven scholarships, each worth 1,000 euros for their first year of studies. The selection criteria include proficiency in English, performance in a Zoom interview, and a high GPA (90%).
Erasmus scholarships, officially known as the Erasmus+ Program, are a part of the European Union’s initiatives to support education, training, youth, and sport. Erasmus+ offers a range of opportunities for students, teachers, and institutions in various fields. Benefits of the scholarship include:
- Learn a new language at no cost
- Choose from German, French, Spanish, or Swedish
- Attend four classes per week, free of charge
- Continue with your regular study program
- Experience an exchange semester
- Pay the Budapest Metropolitan University (BMU) fee while enjoying the facilities of a university with higher charges
- Receive an approximate scholarship of 500 EUR per month
- Pursue your regular study program abroad and earn credits
200+ International Partner Universities scholarships:
- Berlin International University of Applied Sciences
- University of Applied Sciences Hamburg
- Leeds Trinity University
- Business Academy South West, Denmark
- Fontys University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands
- Universidade Complutense de Madrid
- Escola Universitaria Formatic Barcelona
- Limerick Institute of Technology, Ireland
- UPEC Paris
- Bern University of Applied Sciences
Discounts at METU:
Super Early Bird Discount:
To maintain eligibility for the Super Early Bird discount, students must ensure that their tuition fees, along with any other applicable fees, are transferred by the payment deadline specified in the Conditional Acceptance Letter. The deadline for this payment is January 31, 2023. Failure to meet this deadline may result in the loss of the Super Early Bird discount.
Early Bird Discount:
To maintain eligibility for the Super Early Bird discount, students must ensure that their tuition fees, along with any other applicable fees, are transferred by the payment deadline specified in the Conditional Acceptance Letter. The deadline for this payment is March 31, 2023. Failure to meet this deadline may result in the loss of the Super Early Bird discount.
We provide all admission services for the Budapest Metropolitan University completely free of charge.
We offer pre-evaluation of your documents including transcripts and English language proficiency results prior to applying to your program of choice.
Additionally, we offer assistance and provide guidance in constructing optimal resumes and personal statements if required for admission.
lastly, we provide a checklist of all the required documents for admission and assist you with applying for residency as well.